Sunday, April 01, 2007

Before I Was Born: God's Design for Sex

Before I Was Born: Designed for Parents to Read to Their Child at Ages 5 Through 8 (Gods Design for Sex) (Paperback) by Carolyn Nystrom (Author), Sandra Speidel (Illustrator)

Reviewer: A reader

This book was a real lifesaver. I knew my 8 year old daughter and I needed to "talk," but where to start? Happily, this series of books was recommended to me. It explains sex with a Christian bias--hallelujah! But even those who are not deeply religious would appreciate this book. The pictures accompanying the text are very beautiful drawings. The book starts off talking about how God made the world, how He made boys and girls, what boys and girls look like when they are born and as they grow older. The context is all very positive...God made our bodies and we should be proud of them! The pictures are very tasteful and not graphic. Halfway through the book (which is designed for a parent to read to their child) the book talks about God's plan for marriage.

It goes on to talk about a wedding, and the promises a married couple make to each other. "Friends bring gifts to a wedding," the book reads, "God has a special gift for new husbands and wives, too. It is called sex. And sex is a gift that they can enjoy the rest of their lives. God's rules say that only people that are married to each other should have sex. It is God's way of making families strong." What a beautiful explanation!

The book goes on to explain exactly what sex is, and that this is the way babies are made. (No graphic pictures of sex, the picture on this page is of a married man and woman snuggling in bed, with the covers up to their arms, but without clothing on their arms and chests. Only the male chest really shows). The next several pages of the book explain about pregnancy and the growing baby inside of a mother and conclude with the mother giving birth. I must admit that my husband was a little squeamish about the picture of the baby coming out between the mother's legs.

My daughter loved this book and thanked me for explaining things to her. She confessed that she had thought, before I read this book to her that "sex" was a BAD word! Now she knows so much better, and it has opened up an amazing dialogue between us. I feel secure, for now, that she feels very comfortable coming to ME with any questions she has about her body, growing up, and sex----and in this day and age, that is a real comfort! At the same time, I feel like this book is geared more towards 7-8 year olds than the advertised 5-8 year olds. I know a lot of 5 and 6 year olds who are just not curious enough about their bodies and sex to warrant as full and complete description as this book gives. It was perfect for my very bright, curious, 8 year old daughter at age 8.

==

Just a few comments on this book for those who may want to discuss sex with their children.

Blessings to all,

CJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home